Baptist Church Colne
Formed in the 18th centuary, one of only about half a dozen in the whole country. Colne was founded by two men who walked from Barnoldswick every sunday and back home again in the evening
Started in an upper room behind Market Street, near what was the Old
court House Minister John Stuttard.
Church built on land bought from the cunliffes of Wycollar Hall junction
of Colne lane and west street ( Land known as Nailors croft, There was
no Baptistry so Baptisms were performed in a large well in the tannery
yard waterside ( St Helens Well )
First Sunday School formed indeed the first in the area.
Mr Stuttard Died. Peter Scott took his place and in
The inghamites, who had bought the church in colne lane for £450 took
over and a Baptist Church ( Zion ) was built on East Parade
(now Keighly Road ) and opened later the same year
Rev.Wm. Penfold Scott
Five years without Minister
Rev. Edward Jones
Three years without Minister
Mr James Park Increased membership
Four years without minister
Plans for building a seperate building for use as a sunday school, Vestries
for Ministers and Deacons
1856 -59 -
Rev Robert Botterill.
Many Baptisms. Applications for permission to conduct Marriages in
Three years without a Minister.
( withdrawal from membership of Lancashire and Cheshire Association and alliance with the strict Baptist Association sought )
1862 - 78 -
Rev James Bury. Many more Bapptismss. Once more became a member
of Lancashire and Cheshire Associations.
Centenary celebrations addressed by Jabez Stuttard
( Descendent of John Stuttard, The first minister ).
Proposal to build a new Church on the site of the present one (zion) .
work began 4-5 years later.
Church purchased properties No:9, 11, and 13 Keighley Road
Rev. Bury ended his ministry.
1879 -86 -
Mr Alfred Parker Invited to preach and in
Last Baptismal service conducted at zion
Church known as Trinity completed and opened Sixteen month later
Rev Robert Latimer commenced his ministry
New Organ installed at a cost £912 During rev latimers Ministry
the final payments were made for the church building and he conducted
a successful Lay preachers class.
Rev. Sandy Kent increased membership.
During this time, in 1902 electricity replaced gas lighting
Thirteen months without a minister
Rev.Cornelius Davis of Trowbridge appointed - increased membership.
plot of land bought in Albert Road on which to build a mission church
- cost of land and building £2,254.00
Mssion Church opened and progressed until
when at the outbreak of the first world war the workers were taken into
the forces and it was closed down.
Building Mission Church sold and converted into offices known as Rigg Brothers and at present manufacturers of underwear
1919 - 25 -
Rev A.B.Philips apointed. Died whilst conducting a service
at Albert Road methodist Church.
1926 -32 -
Rev.T,J Harvey appointed. cntenary celebration of the chuurches east Parade.
1933 - 38 -
Rev. J Bently - 50th Jubillee of Trinity Doldrums. Thining of members due to state of trade and employment which caused people to seek a livelihood
in other area's
Two years without a Minister
Once more we were at war.
Mr Rowland Hill was Minister.
Rev. Hugh Jenkins . women were allowed to serve as deacons.
No Baptisms were held.
Two and a half years without a Minister
1948 - 49 -
Rev J Campbell Lee . none resident Minister
Any Deacon having served on a diaconate for ten years or more to be appointed Hon.life Deacon.
1953 - 58 -
Rev Pilling During Rev pillings ministry a bridge the campaign was organised resulting in new members
1959 - 65 -
Rev George Bradley.
1968 - 70 -
Rev J.A.Tall. New church built in Sunday school room Baptistry in lecture room . Trinity Baptist Church was sold and now used as a furniture store
1983 - 84 -
Moderator Rev Roy Parker.
Lease re purchased and demolition plans put into operation by Pendle council in exchange for a rent free 30 year lease of land to use as a car park with an option to build a new church after 10 years if required.
at the turn of the centuary
Gymnasium, 5th colne Baptist
Scouts and guides, Band of hope,
1955 1st Colne Boys Brigade
1965 Girls Life Brigade later Girls Brigade ( 1st Colne)
2011 And today youth work still goes on at Trinity Baptist Church with sunday school young and older youth clubs, street dance, Holiday clubs, Toddlers retreat and family services.
Rev. John Stuttard 1772 - 1818 Colne Lane
Rev. Peter Stott 1819 - 1830 Colne Lane & Zion
Rev. William Penfold Scott 1831 - 1837 Zion
Rev. Edward Jones 1842 - 1844 Zion
Rev. James Bury 1848 - 1850 Zion
Rev. James C .Park 1850 - 1852 Zion
Rev.Robert Botteril 1855 - 1859 Zion
Rev. James Bury 1862 - 1879 Zion
Rev. A Parker 1880 - 1886 Trinity & Zion
Rev. Robert S. Latimer 1887 - 1895 Trinity
Rev. Sandy Kent 1896 - 1903 Trinity
Rev. Cornelius Davis 1904 - 1917 Trinity
Rev. A.Beynon Philips 1919 - 1925 Trinity
Rev. T.J.Harvey 1926 - 1932 Trinity Rev. J.Richard Bentley 1933 - 1938 Trinity
Rev. Rowland Hill 1941 - 1942 Trinity
Rev. Hugh Jenkins 1943 - 1946 Trinity
Rev. James Campbell Lee 1948 - 1949 Trinity
Rev. Edmund Pilling B.D 1953 - 1958 Trinity
Rev. George Bradley 1959 - 1965 Trinity
Rev. J. A Tall B.A 1968 - 1970 Trinity
Rev. Roy Parker 1984 - 1984 Trinity
Rev. Percy Nuttall 1986 - 1988 Trinity
Rev. Richard H Walker 1991 - 1995 Trinity
Mr J.W.Laycock : Treasurer, Registrar, Chairman, & Deacon
Mr. G.H.Dugdale: Deacon,
Mr. W.B.White: ?
Mr. J. Swire: Deacon,
Miss F. Hartley: Primary Superintendant,
Mr. G. Lister: Deacon,
Mr. J. Spencer: Secretary,
Sunday School Superintendant,
Miss I. Dean: Sunday School Teacher,
Mr. H. Day: Deacon,
Miss. G. Day: Sunday School Teacher,
Mr. P.Settle: Deacon, Chairman,
Mr. H.Brooker: Deacon, Sunday School Secretary
Mr. H.Dugdale: Deacon, Registrar,
Mrs. F.F.Fisher: Teacher & Leader of Girl's Club,
Mrs.E.Holehouse: Sunday School Teacher,
Miss. B. Lister: Sunday School Teacher,
Mrs.V.Burrel: Sunday School Teacher,
Mr G.H.Dugdale: President of Institute,
Sunday School Teacher,
Mr H. Hodgson: Deacon
Mrs.T.Hartley: Sunday School Teacher,
Founder of the Forget me not society,
Leader of Ladies Class,
Our Congregation 2020